Dec 18, 2010

VMWare Server Saves Me Big Bucks

I love VMWare.

My main problem is too many ideas. Not a problem on it's own, but I also find I must take the ideas to implementation. At least a little way to see how well they'll work out.

One problem that I ran into before I discovered VMWare Server was the constant need for more boxes. I always needed experimentation machines. My home office was filled with partly assembled computers that hosted my experiments. It's not that a single machine doesn't have the horsepower, more that during discovery, I hate being careful of existing folders, databases and so on. I'd rather rip and tear. That means empty boxes for every idea.
VMWare Running Windows 2003 Server on my Windows 7 laptop
Another issue that I constantly ran into before discovering virtualization with VMWare was constant re-installation of OS's. Sometimes you want to get a clean OS install so all the dependencies are known when installing software packages. With snapshots on VMWare server, you can install an OS once, then back it up forever. When ready for a new experiment, just dig out the snapshot rather than install from DVD again.

Not only does VMWare easily deal with these problems, but also adds these great benefits.

Unlike most virtualization platforms, the VM's created in VMWare Server are accessible from anywhere on the network through VMWare console. The VM's run on the VMWare server box, but the UI is presented on the client box. I can run VM's on powerful workstations and access them with my ancient laptop and get good performance while sitting on my living room couch. Don't laugh, it happens more often than you think!

Lastly, the VM's are mobile. I can run VMWare Server on my laptop and take my ideas on the road to show off once they are partially incubated. Not only that, but I can move the VM's around to different VMWare Servers without issue. That's important in case a box goes down.

Best of all, it's free. Thanks VMWare.