Dec 10, 2010

Prepare to Program Series I

Doing a system upgrade.  Waiting for the previous versions to uninstall.

The first key to writing guud software is getting a proper sit going. You have to be comfortable if you're sitting at the terminal for 12-18 hours per day doing what you love. Some days I want to mount my keyboard and monitors above my bed so I can get a real guud sit going.


I don't because I think that might be crossing a line into domestic impropriety.

I love to write software especially when creating something new (fixing bugs is a regrettable but necessary exercise). But nothing gets in the way like an uncomfortable work zone. Take your home computer workstation (if you have one). Could you sit there all day?

I feel highly misunderstood when I get into a real good comfortable spot that feels just right. I'm often nearly laying down in my chair. I have my head back, looking down my nose at the monitors. Were it not for my fingers moving, you'd think I was sleeping with my eyes open.

Inevitably, not recognizing that I am in fact in the programmers zone, interrupts with - "are we keeping you awake". I like to respond - "you are now".

No comments:

Post a Comment