Oct 27, 2010

Make the Switch

I spent 8 years developing software at small startups. Mostly embedded software, sometimes Windows tools for the embedded systems. About 2 years ago I switched to a big company that makes big software for big healthcare clients.

It was a huge change in daily routine.

Firstly, I went from being one of two developers on a project to being one of more than a dozen.

Secondly,  I went from being a senior guy who pushed the development agenda, and was confident about what I was creating to being a meek churchmouse. Although, this is probably more related to the big change from embedded to Windows/Unix world.

Thirdly, I found out, when there's that many people working on a project, everyone has a different agenda. More accurately, as the number of people involved in a project goes up, the chances of everyone getting along goes down.

I found it shocking when not everyone worked at creating art in their work. Some people couldn't wait to go home at the end of the day. This was so different from the world I came from, and the world that I wanted to bring to my new big company.

The truth is, they're everywhere. But don't let them get you down (they're going to try their hardest).

No comments:

Post a Comment